Skip to main content

Education, Employment and Training

We want every Care Leaver to achieve their goals; we want to support you to be the best version of you. We will help you through the challenges and be ready to celebrate your achievements with you. There are lots of options with regards to Education, Employment and Training and we will help you find the right option for you.

Some of the options available to you are:

  • Full and Part-Time courses at college and other education providers.
  • Apprenticeships; where you work alongside studying.
  • Studying at University.
  • Full and Part-Time employment.

We want you to succeed in your Education, Employment and Training choices so will provide you with lots of assistance such as financial support, help with application forms and support to write your CV. The Leaving and After Care Team work with lots of other organisations and services such as Bedford College to help you extend your skills and knowledge. When you write your Pathway Plan you will discuss your future hopes and dreams and we will assist you to make plans to achieve this.

16-18 year olds will receive help from the Virtual School Team; they will create a Personal Education Plan (PEP) for you, to make sure you are getting the right levels of support. They will also make sure you are getting the best educational opportunities.

 The Jobs Hub in Bedford can provide information, advice and guidance for Care Leavers over the age of 18 (their contact details are at the bottom of this leaflet).

If you decide to stay in education after school, you are entitled to lots of help and support.

What you are entitled to in Further Education (College):

  • £300 per year towards travel costs.
  • £200 per year towards registration and awarding body costs at the start of each year (over 19 years).
  • All field trips paid for (within reason).
  • Any additional equipment needed for your course (we will assess this on a case-by-case basis).

 What you are entitled to in Higher Education (University):

  • When you go to University, we will provide you with a yearly bursary for up to three years in total.
    This is made up of:
  • £4250 Higher Education Grant, which includes £2000 bursary, split over the three years.
  • £250 a year towards travel
  • A laptop at the beginning of your course (max £400 and if you have not had one before).
  • £250 per year towards books and equipment for your course.
  • Field/University trips paid for (within reason; discuss with your Personal Advisor).
  • Arrangements for accommodation during University Holidays can be discussed with your Personal Advisor.

Browse by subject